Please be advised that this article is subject to frequent updates before and during the Spring 2023 semester. To stay informed and ensure that you have the most current information, it's highly recommended that you subscribe to updates by clicking the Subscribe button at the top right of this window.This will ensure that you receive notifications of any updates or changes.
Access to Canvas courses:
By default, Canvas courses are made available to students at the start of the academic term. However, as a teacher, you have the ability to instantly grant access to your course by simply clicking the “publish” button. This will allow your students to begin engaging and participating in course material as soon as the academic term begins.
Publish your course from your Dashboard or from your Course's home or settings page.
If you prefer to limit access to your Canvas course outside of the standard academic term, you can easily do so by following the detailed instructions provided below. It will enable you to adjust the availability of your course accordingly, so that students only have access to the material during the standard academic term.
1. In your course settings, under course details, scroll down to participation.
2. Directly below the dates for participation are two boxes that restrict student access to the course either prior to or after the conclusion. To restrict students access to viewing course content these boxes must be checked. By default these boxes remain unchecked in every Canvas course at Auburn University.
3. Make sure to scroll to the bottom of the page and click 'Update Course Details' before exiting the screen!
Participation in Canvas courses:
At the conclusion of a course, it enters a "read-only" mode for both teachers and students, meaning that interactions with the course material are no longer possible. However, should the need arise, we are able to re-activate the course, allowing for further engagement and interaction. Once the course has been re-opened, you will have the flexibility to adjust the end date as necessary. This can be done via the Settings option. Once the specified end date is reached, the course will once again become "read-only", and interactions will no longer be possible. This will give you the control to manage and provide a timely access as per your requirement.
It's important to keep in mind that once a course has ended, special arrangements must be made in order to re-open it. If you require extended access to your course after its official conclusion, please reach out to the Biggio Tech team at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance. Please be aware that adjusting the availability dates for a course will grant access to all students, not just specific students. It is recommended that you use specific time frame for the students who need to finish the coursework.
You can find the details on modifying course dates below:
1. Click on "Settings" from the course navigation, Then make sure you are on the "Course Details" tab across the top of the page.
3. By default, the course will have the participation set to "Term." Click the down arrow next to "Term" and choose "Course."
4. In the "Start" and "End" date boxes that are now available to edit, you can set the new dates you would like for your course to start and/or end.
5. Click "Update Course Details" at the bottom of the settings page to save the changes.