Creating an individual website in OIT computing labs
These instructions help you create a website from an OIT Computing Lab.
- Log into an OIT Computing Lab machine and open My Computer on the desktop.
- Select the (P:) drive, which is also your public_html directory on your H: drive.
- Open the desired web designing software and create a new site.
- If using Microsoft SharePoint Designer 2007, select File > New > Web Site.
- Choose General > One Page Web Site > click the Browse button > find the P drive > OK > OK.
- In the folder list pane on the left, highlight the file named default.htm > right-click > Rename > enter index.html
- Double-click index.html to open the file and begin making changes to the page.
- Choose File > Save or simply press Ctrl-S and voila! Your page is now viewable on the web at http://webhome.auburn.edu/~username where username is your username.
- Point a web browser to your new personal page and see how it looks to the world. Whenever you save changes, refresh (reload) the browser page to see the changes.