To install Palo Alto Global Protect VPN on a Windows computer, follow the instructions below or view this instructional video. Instructions listed below are for Windows 11. For Mac instructions, please view this Knowledge Base article.
Note: Please make sure you only run one VPN at a time, and disconnect the VPN once you are finished using it.
1. First, you will need to check if your system is a 32-bit or a 64-bit machine. In Windows 11, search for "Control Panel" in the bottom search bar or by clicking the four-square "Windows icon". From Control Panel, select "System". This will display your Windows system type (32-bi or 64-bit) which indicates which download you will need to select for VPN.
An alternative way to check your system in Windows 11 is to click the "Windows icon", click "Settings", scroll down and click "About", and the system type will be displayed.
2. Navigate to the Palo Alto Global Protect Client Portal at https://auvpn2.auburn.edu/global-protect/getsoftwarepage.esp and click the download link based on your computer’s system type. A program file called GlobalProtect64.msi (or GlobalProtect32.msi for 32 bit) will download. Open and run the program.
3. The Global Protect Setup Wizard will display a series of windows. Select the default options throughout by simply hitting “Next” on each window that appears (an example of each window is shown below). Once the installation is complete, click the “Close” button.
4. Open the Global Protect application from the system tray in the lower right-hand side of the screen. Click the arrow to display hidden apps, and Global Protect will be a greyed out globe icon. You can also access the Global Protect application by typing "Global Protect" in the bottom search bar.
5. When you access Global Protect for the first time, you will see a welcome screen. Click "Get Started." Next, enter auvpn2.auburn.edu as your portal address, and click "Connect."
6. When prompted, enter your Auburn username and password and click "Connect." You will be prompted to authenticate with Duo. After authentication, the connection will finalize. You will see a "VPN Health Check Passed" message to indicate a successful connection as well.
7. Remember to click "Disconnect" when you are finished using the VPN.