How to Update Preferred Name and Personal Pronoun in Banner

The Banner system allows students, faculty, and staff to establish a preferred name and personal pronouns that will populate through Banner applications.

Click here for an informational video on how to edit this and other personal information through AU Access, or follow the instructions below.

1. To update your preferred name and pronouns, you can start by navigating to this link.

You can also reach this page by logging into AU Access, clicking the Self Service button at the top of the screen, selecting the Personal Information tab, clicking Name Change Information, and following the instructions. 

Once there, you will see an outline of your personal information, including name, address, phone number, date of birth, marital status, and more.

personal information screen

You may notice blanks under Preferred First Name, Personal Pronouns, and Gender Identification in the section labeled Personal Details. Due to  system changes, the Gender Identification setting field will not provide you any options (please get in touch with if you have concerns about that change).

2. If you’d like to modify your name and pronouns, start by clicking the Edit button in the top right-hand section.

edit personal details

3. A new window labeled Edit Personal Details will appear. At the bottom of that window, you can enter a new Preferred First Name. Next to that field, you can select the dropdown for Personal Pronoun. The only options available through Banner at this time are He/Him/His, She/Her/Hers, and They/Them/Theirs. If you do not identify with any of these pronouns, you can also select Not Applicable, leaving the field blank.

4. When you make this change, your preferred name will populate across multiple systems such as your Banner, Canvas, the Auburn email directory, People Finder, AU Access, StarRez, Advise Assist, Advance, Degree Works, and Tiger Scheduler. Preferred pronouns will also populate within Canvas if changed.

If you have questions, requests, or feedback about preferred names and pronouns, please contact the Office of Inclusion and Diversity at