Auburn University will be transitioning from the current 5-digit dialing to 10-digit dialing for all phone calls made from 844 numbers beginning on March 1, 2024. This change is in preparation for transitioning the university's campus telephone system to a unified communications platform for more flexibility and functionality in the future.
You will need to dial the full 10-digit phone number, including the area code, to make a campus call. The new dialing pattern will be as follows:
Local Calls: XXX-XXX-XXXX (Area Code + Phone Number)
All speed dial settings will be affected by this change. We recommend that you update your contact lists and speed dial settings to reflect the new 10-digit dialing pattern. There are some speed dial settings that OIT will need to change.
The instructions listed below explain the difference between speed dial changes and provide a guide to updating your settings.
Images like the above are personal speed dials that are changed by the user. Follow the instructions below to make changes to these speed dial settings:
1. On your phone display, find the speed dial that you want to change. Press and hold the button for 2-3 seconds, and the screen will change. You will see the speed dial number and options to "Dial" "Back" "Edit" or "Delete". You will select "Edit."
2. The screen will change again.
3. Use the circle pad on your phone to scroll to "Contact".
4. In this field, type in the 10-digit number (334844XXXX).
5. Press "Save" and you will return to the screen from step 1.
6. Press the home button twice, and you will be back on your home screen.
7. Continue this scenario, steps 1-6, for each speed dial that you have saved.
Images like the above are Busy Lamp Field (BLF) speed dials, and they must be changed by OIT personnel.
1. To request updates to BLF speed dials, contact the OIT Telecom Team at (334) 844-1060 or firstname.lastname@example.org.