Attention Faculty: We want to inform you that ProctorU has changed the browser extension used for proctored exams. Effective immediately, students will no longer use the ProctorU browser extension to take their exams. Instead, students must download ProctorU's Guardian Browser to take any ProctorU exam.
Please communicate this change to your students as soon as possible to ensure they are prepared for their exams.
We highly recommend that you remind students to download the Guardian Browser, check their minimum system requirements, and test their equipment before the start of your exam.
Setting up a ProctorU Record+ Exam in Canvas:
The Office of the Provost pays for ProctorU Record+ exams through Spring 2024. ProctorU Record+ exams are on-demand, and test-takers can take the exam within the time frame you select in the "Assign" section on your Canvas quiz.
- Once the ProctorU extension has been downloaded, log into your ProctorU account through the extension and navigate to your Canvas course.
- You can set up a new exam or edit the settings of pre-existing exams. Please Note: ProctorU only works with Classic Quizzes. Once in the exam, click the toggle button to turn on ProctorU. You will also need to switch on the Auto-generated password or create your own password to prevent students from being able to take the exam without ProctorU.
- ProctorU settings and ProctorU notifications tabs will appear at the top of the quiz when you have toggled on ProctorU. You can customize resources and notifications from these tabs without leaving Canvas.
You will not need to enter your ProctorU account and create an exam when using Record+. Record+ exams will automatically be listed in your ProctorU account when you toggle them on Canvas. For full details on setting up Record+ exams in Canvas with ProctorU please visit this help guide.
Setting up a ProctorU Review+ Exam:
The Office of the Provost pays for ProctorU Review+ exams through Spring 2024. ProctorU Review+ exams are scheduled with a live proctored launch.
To set up a Review+ exam, you must:
- Have ProctorU enabled in your Canvas course.
- Have a ProctorU account.
- Have an exam already completed in your Canvas course.
- Enter the exam in ProctorU through the ProctorU integration in Canvas.
Key things to remember when entering ProctorU Review+ exams:
- You need the URL to your Canvas quiz to enter into ProctorU, so we recommend using two browser tabs so you can toggle between them.
Choosing the exam title and department:
- Exam Title: We strongly recommend a specific naming scheme. [Semester]-[Course Code & number]- [exam title]. Example, Spring2023-POLI-1090-Final Exam
- Department: Select Review+EDU
- For Review+ exams, please ensure that the term should be the actual term and never left as default.
- ProctorU Review+ exams must be submitted for manual review; please allow up to 48 hours for ProctorU to approve your exam. You will be notified by email if ProctorU has approved your exam or needs more information.
Do not use the toggle switch for ProctorU Review+ exams. You must enter your exam in your ProctorU account and submit the exam for review. For full details on how to enter an exam in ProctorU for Review+ please visit this help guide.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or book time with Biggio Tech if you want assistance setting up ProctorU exams in Canvas.
How to Give Accommodations to Test-Takers
Suggested Syllabus Verbiage
How to Create a Single-User Exam
Test-Taker Resource Center
Download Guardian Browser