Cable TV In the Residence Halls
While living in the Reisdence Halls, students have two television options for Cable TV Serivce:
- Traditional TV - Supports a connection via a coax cable.
- Smart TV - Uses a wirless network connection (GameNet).
This article will provide information for these two options. For more information, please click on the type of television you have from the list below:
- Requirement: In order to connect to the campus cable TV system, your TV must support a coax connection and must have a QAM tuner.
- Most major brand flat screen TVs manufactured after 2006 support both ATSC (Advanced Television Systems Committee) and QAM (quadrature amplitude modulation) digital tuners. ATSC is used to receive digital channels over the air. QAM is used to receive digital channels from a cable TV provider without use of a cable box. Your TV must support QAM to function on the University provided Apogee Cable TV system.
- Be sure you have carefully consulted your TV's user manual.
- Manuals can be found on the manufacturer's web site or by searching Google for the TV model number and manufacturer's name.
- You can search Google with the manufacturer's name and exact model number to find your TV's manual or specifications. If the documentation includes the terms "QAM" or "QAM capable", your TV tuner should be compatible with the Apogee Cable TV system.
- However, many manufacturer's (including well known top brands) who support QAM tuners (like Samsung) often don't include any reference to their "QAM" support. Unfortunately this means absence of the "QAM" reference in the manufacturer's documentation doesn't always mean your TV is not supported. That's why it's often necessary to attempt to manually tune channels.
- If your TV does not have a QAM tuner you have a few options.
- You can borrow one from the Cable TV department. You will be required to fill out paper work and return the QAM tuner at the end of the academic year. If you do not return it or it is damaged, you will be charged a fee.
- You can also purchase a set-top QAM Tuner (works like a home cable box with your TV), replace your TV. The QAM tuners can be found at Amazon, Best Buy, and Walmart.
- Smart TVs and streaming devices are able to connect wirelessly via GameNet. Instructions on how to register a device and connect can be found here.