ServiceNow: How to Create an Interaction
An Interaction records the initial point of contact for assistance made through a chat, email, phone call, walk-in, or self service. Fulfillers can then decide if the Interaction needs to be escalated and turned into an Incident or Request.
How to create an Interaction:
- Open Agent Workspace, located in the top banner under the Workspace tab.
- Select the '+' tab
- On the form, fill in the fields for:
- Opened For: Who the Interaction is for
- Contact Email and Contact Phone: 'Opened for' User information (If they have previously used ServiceNow, this will be auto-filled for you)
- Type: The communication channel used when the Fulfiller interacted with the User
- Assignment Group: What group needs to work this Interaction
- Assigned To: The Fulfiller (This should only be filled when the Interaction is being worked on)
- Short Description: A brief description of the Interaction
- Description: More in depth or additional information of the Interaction
- Work Notes: Inscription about the work that you perform on the Interaction or any discussion you have with your group member (not the User)
NOTE: You cannot communicate with the User through an Interaction. This is strictly meant to be a "scratchpad" to document Interactions between you and a User. If you need to communicate with a User, you will need to generate a Request or Incident from the Interaction.
- Save, an Interaction record is created. The User's Interactions and the User's Task related list are available on the Interaction form.
- After Creating an Interaction, there are two scenarios that can happen,
- Close out the Interaction: the Interaction work is fulfilled and no communication needs to occur between the Fulfiller and User.
- Generate a Request or Incident from Opened Interaction: there is still active work needing to be fulfilled and communication between the Fulfiller and User is needed.
NOTE: If you generate a Request/Incident from the Interaction, you will still need to manually close the Interaction for it to be complete.
How to create a Request or Incident from an opened Interaction:
Make sure you are in the Agent Workspace, on the opened Interaction,
- Assign the Interaction to the Fulfiller
- Determine if the Interaction is a Request or Incident.
- Incident: an occurrence that can disrupt or cause a loss of operations, services, or functions.
- Select the "Create Incident" button in the top right of the Interaction
- Fill out the Report an Issue form with the appropriate information
- Submit Incident and Close out the opened Interaction (this will not happen automatically)
- Request: a request from a user or a User's authorized representative that initiates a service action which has been agreed as a normal part of service delivery.
- Select the ellipses (three dots) button and select "Create Request" option from pop up
- A new page to the Service Portal will open, where you will have the ability to search for the specific Request form that fits your Interactions needs
- Fill out the Request fields accordingly
- Submit Request and Close out the opened Interaction (this will not happen automatically)
- Work the Request or Incident per usual (This can be done from the Agent Workspace or Platform)